You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off"

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #281215] Tue, 11 March 2008 14:52 Go to next message
Strong Eagle
Messages: 3
Registered: March 2008
Junior Member
I've got my junk email settings set to "No Automatic Filtering" but
nevertheless Outlook still keeps sending email to this folder. It would be
OK except this filter has far too many false positives.

Where do I look to fix this anomaly? Seems like it started after some sort
of Office update.
Re: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #281230] Tue, 11 March 2008 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
newsgroups_DELETE_
Messages: 18357
Registered: July 2006
Senior Member
Remove all the addresses from your blocked and safe lists as well.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
http://www.howto-outlook.com/
Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more

http://www.msoutlook.info/
Real World Questions, Real World Answers

-----

"Strong Eagle" <StrongEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3B0CED5B-F504-4840-BB0A-7DED6E97B857@microsoft.com...
> I've got my junk email settings set to "No Automatic Filtering" but
> nevertheless Outlook still keeps sending email to this folder. It would
> be
> OK except this filter has far too many false positives.
>
> Where do I look to fix this anomaly? Seems like it started after some
> sort
> of Office update.
Re: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #281258] Tue, 11 March 2008 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strong Eagle
Messages: 3
Registered: March 2008
Junior Member
Hello Roady,

There are no entries in blocked, safe or any part of the junk email options.

I removed the latest junk email update (19 Feb, I believe) but email is
still being moved to junk. As my Cloudmark program blocks the spam quite
well I really would like to stop this move to junk, especially as I
discovered about 20 blocked emails that should not have been there.

Should I consider removing and re-installing outlook as a means of removing
any/all prior junk mail updates?

Thanks.

"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> Remove all the addresses from your blocked and safe lists as well.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>
> -----
>
> "Strong Eagle" <StrongEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3B0CED5B-F504-4840-BB0A-7DED6E97B857@microsoft.com...
> > I've got my junk email settings set to "No Automatic Filtering" but
> > nevertheless Outlook still keeps sending email to this folder. It would
> > be
> > OK except this filter has far too many false positives.
> >
> > Where do I look to fix this anomaly? Seems like it started after some
> > sort
> > of Office update.
>
>
RE: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #286436] Tue, 25 March 2008 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony
Messages: 69
Registered: May 2006
Member
I also have this problem, its been going on for months and I'm fed up with it.

Emails go into the junk folder even though it is set to no filtering.

Also from time to time I find it has set itself back on and have to turn it
off again, most often though its still set to off when emails are moved to
the junk folder.

I also felt it was updates that turn it back on but could be wrong.

It turning itself on is not the biggest issue, as I have said it will still
filter the odd mail even when off.

Just to add, my safe and blocked lists are also all empty.




"Strong Eagle" wrote:

> I've got my junk email settings set to "No Automatic Filtering" but
> nevertheless Outlook still keeps sending email to this folder. It would be
> OK except this filter has far too many false positives.
>
> Where do I look to fix this anomaly? Seems like it started after some sort
> of Office update.
RE: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #286476] Tue, 25 March 2008 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strong Eagle
Messages: 3
Registered: March 2008
Junior Member
Anthony,

Do you have any installed plug ins in Outlook? I had two (Sugar CRM
interface and AVG anti-virus). I disabled both of these and I no longer have
email going into the junk folder. Now I need to track down which one of
these plugins is the culprit.

"Anthony" wrote:

> I also have this problem, its been going on for months and I'm fed up with it.
>
> Emails go into the junk folder even though it is set to no filtering.
>
> Also from time to time I find it has set itself back on and have to turn it
> off again, most often though its still set to off when emails are moved to
> the junk folder.
>
> I also felt it was updates that turn it back on but could be wrong.
>
> It turning itself on is not the biggest issue, as I have said it will still
> filter the odd mail even when off.
>
> Just to add, my safe and blocked lists are also all empty.
>
>
>
>
> "Strong Eagle" wrote:
>
> > I've got my junk email settings set to "No Automatic Filtering" but
> > nevertheless Outlook still keeps sending email to this folder. It would be
> > OK except this filter has far too many false positives.
> >
> > Where do I look to fix this anomaly? Seems like it started after some sort
> > of Office update.
RE: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #286477] Tue, 25 March 2008 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony
Messages: 69
Registered: May 2006
Member
Thanks for the reply but no I have no plug ins, Oulook 2007 has done this
since the day it was installed.

"Strong Eagle" wrote:

> Anthony,
>
> Do you have any installed plug ins in Outlook? I had two (Sugar CRM
> interface and AVG anti-virus). I disabled both of these and I no longer have
> email going into the junk folder. Now I need to track down which one of
> these plugins is the culprit.
>
> "Anthony" wrote:
>
> > I also have this problem, its been going on for months and I'm fed up with it.
> >
> > Emails go into the junk folder even though it is set to no filtering.
> >
> > Also from time to time I find it has set itself back on and have to turn it
> > off again, most often though its still set to off when emails are moved to
> > the junk folder.
> >
> > I also felt it was updates that turn it back on but could be wrong.
> >
> > It turning itself on is not the biggest issue, as I have said it will still
> > filter the odd mail even when off.
> >
> > Just to add, my safe and blocked lists are also all empty.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Strong Eagle" wrote:
> >
> > > I've got my junk email settings set to "No Automatic Filtering" but
> > > nevertheless Outlook still keeps sending email to this folder. It would be
> > > OK except this filter has far too many false positives.
> > >
> > > Where do I look to fix this anomaly? Seems like it started after some sort
> > > of Office update.
RE: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #286568] Wed, 26 March 2008 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony
Messages: 69
Registered: May 2006
Member
I was wrong, I do have "itunes" addin whatever that does and "send to
bluetooth" addin and "office COM" addin for my brother label printer. All the
other addins are microsoft ones (groove, sharepoint, mobile services,
onenote, exchange unified messaging & COM Outlook connector).

I can try disabeling them (non-m'soft first) but I'm not sure how they can
cause this.

Searching, there are lots of threads from people with this issue and never
resolved!



"Anthony" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply but no I have no plug ins, Oulook 2007 has done this
> since the day it was installed.
>
> "Strong Eagle" wrote:
>
> > Anthony,
> >
> > Do you have any installed plug ins in Outlook? I had two (Sugar CRM
> > interface and AVG anti-virus). I disabled both of these and I no longer have
> > email going into the junk folder. Now I need to track down which one of
> > these plugins is the culprit.
> >
> > "Anthony" wrote:
> >
> > > I also have this problem, its been going on for months and I'm fed up with it.
> > >
> > > Emails go into the junk folder even though it is set to no filtering.
> > >
> > > Also from time to time I find it has set itself back on and have to turn it
> > > off again, most often though its still set to off when emails are moved to
> > > the junk folder.
> > >
> > > I also felt it was updates that turn it back on but could be wrong.
> > >
> > > It turning itself on is not the biggest issue, as I have said it will still
> > > filter the odd mail even when off.
> > >
> > > Just to add, my safe and blocked lists are also all empty.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > "Strong Eagle" wrote:
> > >
> > > > I've got my junk email settings set to "No Automatic Filtering" but
> > > > nevertheless Outlook still keeps sending email to this folder. It would be
> > > > OK except this filter has far too many false positives.
> > > >
> > > > Where do I look to fix this anomaly? Seems like it started after some sort
> > > > of Office update.
Re: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #286571] Wed, 26 March 2008 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Strong Eagle <StrongEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Do you have any installed plug ins in Outlook? I had two (Sugar CRM
> interface and AVG anti-virus). I disabled both of these and I no
> longer have email going into the junk folder. Now I need to track
> down which one of these plugins is the culprit.

While you should never allow your AV program to scan your mail, it's
unlikely that the problem is AVG. It plays very well with Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #286625] Wed, 26 March 2008 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Anthony <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I can try disabeling them (non-m'soft first) but I'm not sure how
> they can cause this.

The iTunes add-in has been known to cause Outlook problems.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #286707] Wed, 26 March 2008 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony
Messages: 69
Registered: May 2006
Member
Thank you Brian, I will give it a go and disable it and see if it makes a
difference.

I do have my AV (Trend-micro pc-cillin) scan my email but its not an add-in
and I would not want to disable virus scanning of my email.



"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Anthony <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I can try disabeling them (non-m'soft first) but I'm not sure how
> > they can cause this.
>
> The iTunes add-in has been known to cause Outlook problems.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
Re: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #286781] Wed, 26 March 2008 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Anthony <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I do have my AV (Trend-micro pc-cillin) scan my email but its not an
> add-in and I would not want to disable virus scanning of my email.

You should disable it. As long as your on-access scanner runs, you are just
as safe.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #287827] Sun, 30 March 2008 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony
Messages: 69
Registered: May 2006
Member
Just to report back, no change.

I disabled all non Microsoft add-ons but have had another three emails go
into the junk file in the last 24 hours.

Its still set to "no filtering" and safe and trusted lists are still empty.



"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Anthony <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I do have my AV (Trend-micro pc-cillin) scan my email but its not an
> > add-in and I would not want to disable virus scanning of my email.
>
> You should disable it. As long as your on-access scanner runs, you are just
> as safe.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
>
>
Re: Outlook Junk Filter "On" Even Though I Set It "Off" [message #299090] Thu, 08 May 2008 10:02 Go to previous message
greg
Messages: 168
Registered: July 2006
Senior Member
We are experiencing this problem as well.
I have cloudmark installed on the exchange server and it does a very good
job of picking off the spam and moving it to it's predefined spam folder.
What I have noticied is that when outlook starts, it is processing the emails
in the cloudmark spam folder and moving the bulk of them to the Junk Email
folder.
The blocked list in outlook is empty.
I have installed the exchange hotfix that allows you to exclude users from
any spam processing on exchange. I have verified the OWA webapp isn't doing
this.
I have also veified that this only happens in outlook2007.
I have an old instance of outlook2003 installed on a different machine and I
can watch the emails build up in the cloudmark spam folder, the second I open
outlook 2007 on the other machine, the emails move from Spam to Junk.
I have logged a case with Cloudmark to see if they are somehow doing
something in how they move the messages that could be triggering this.
I will post their reply if it is meaningful

"Strong Eagle" wrote:

> Hello Roady,
>
> There are no entries in blocked, safe or any part of the junk email options.
>
> I removed the latest junk email update (19 Feb, I believe) but email is
> still being moved to junk. As my Cloudmark program blocks the spam quite
> well I really would like to stop this move to junk, especially as I
> discovered about 20 blocked emails that should not have been there.
>
> Should I consider removing and re-installing outlook as a means of removing
> any/all prior junk mail updates?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Roady [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Remove all the addresses from your blocked and safe lists as well.
> >
> > --
> > Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> > Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> > http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> > Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
> >
> > http://www.msoutlook.info/
> > Real World Questions, Real World Answers
> >
> > -----
> >
> > "Strong Eagle" <StrongEagle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:3B0CED5B-F504-4840-BB0A-7DED6E97B857@microsoft.com...
> > > I've got my junk email settings set to "No Automatic Filtering" but
> > > nevertheless Outlook still keeps sending email to this folder. It would
> > > be
> > > OK except this filter has far too many false positives.
> > >
> > > Where do I look to fix this anomaly? Seems like it started after some
> > > sort
> > > of Office update.
> >
> >
Previous Topic:Cannot see "Link to Outlook" button in Calendar or Contacts List
Next Topic:452 error ?
Goto Forum: