You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

move .pst for hotmail and gmail in outlook 2007

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
move .pst for hotmail and gmail in outlook 2007 [message #398769] Sun, 24 August 2008 11:34 Go to next message
pstMover
Messages: 2
Registered: August 2008
Junior Member
I configured outlook 2007 to check my hotmail and gmail. By default the .pst
files are created under C. I want to move them to driver D, so that in case
my C drive crashes, I can reinstall Windows without losing my email. I
searched Microsoft website and none article I found helps.
Re: move .pst for hotmail and gmail in outlook 2007 [message #398843] Sun, 24 August 2008 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pstMover
Messages: 2
Registered: August 2008
Junior Member
I'm using IMAP to access gmail.

Without starting Outlook 2007, I move the gmail pst from C to D. I hope
Outlook will notice the missing file and ask me where the file is. However,
it creates a new one in the same location automatically. (sigh)



"Gordon" wrote:

> "pstMover" <pstMover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1EE57027-0093-4C5A-9976-8FBACE50B09F@microsoft.com...
> >I configured outlook 2007 to check my hotmail and gmail. By default the
> >.pst
> > files are created under C. I want to move them to driver D, so that in
> > case
> > my C drive crashes, I can reinstall Windows without losing my email. I
> > searched Microsoft website and none article I found helps.
>
>
> Are you accessing Gmail with IMAP or POP? I don't think you can move the
> Hotmail pst as it's a HTTP pst.....
>
>
Re: move .pst for hotmail and gmail in outlook 2007 [message #398919] Mon, 25 August 2008 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
"pstMover" <pstMover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5DBDBE1B-0912-46D9-90F7-6A35BF423821@microsoft.com...

> I'm using IMAP to access gmail.
>
> Without starting Outlook 2007, I move the gmail pst from C to D. I hope
> Outlook will notice the missing file and ask me where the file is.
> However,
> it creates a new one in the same location automatically. (sigh)

It won't. I'm not sure it's possible to move the IMAP or Hotmail message
caches on Outlook 2007, but you can certainly try using the technique
described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300593/en-us
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Re: move .pst for hotmail and gmail in outlook 2007 [message #427890] Fri, 10 October 2008 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles
Messages: 46
Registered: June 2006
Member
I would like to do the same thing. Yes, you can always resync with the IMAP
server but large amounts of mail (in the realm of 300gb) is a hassle to
download. I can't imagine the server is happy with that large amount of
bandwidth use either.

Unfortunately the solution below doesn't work because after you delete the
pst file, a new one is created so you never get the dialogue asking where the
file went.

"Gordon" wrote:

> "pstMover" <pstMover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5DBDBE1B-0912-46D9-90F7-6A35BF423821@microsoft.com...
> > I'm using IMAP to access gmail.
> >
> > Without starting Outlook 2007, I move the gmail pst from C to D. I hope
> > Outlook will notice the missing file and ask me where the file is.
> > However,
> > it creates a new one in the same location automatically. (sigh)
> >
> >
>
> Why do you need to move it? An IMAP account mirrors what's on the mail
> server, so if you re-format and reconnect to the IMAP account it will
> immediately show you everything on the mail server - likewise there's no
> real need to back it up either.
>
>
Re: move .pst for hotmail and gmail in outlook 2007 [message #427896] Fri, 10 October 2008 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles
Messages: 46
Registered: June 2006
Member
"Gordon" wrote:

> "pstMover" <pstMover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5DBDBE1B-0912-46D9-90F7-6A35BF423821@microsoft.com...
> > I'm using IMAP to access gmail.
> >
> > Without starting Outlook 2007, I move the gmail pst from C to D. I hope
> > Outlook will notice the missing file and ask me where the file is.
> > However,
> > it creates a new one in the same location automatically. (sigh)
> >
> >
>
> Why do you need to move it? An IMAP account mirrors what's on the mail
> server, so if you re-format and reconnect to the IMAP account it will
> immediately show you everything on the mail server - likewise there's no
> real need to back it up either.
>
>
Re: move .pst for hotmail and gmail in outlook 2007 [message #427908] Fri, 10 October 2008 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
outlookmvp
Messages: 14613
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
You can't move it and have outlook ask where it is - this will not work well
with imap and hotmail accounts. You need to move it, then point outlook to
it before reopening outlook (using control panel, mail applet). moving seems
to be a bit more stable than in previous versions, but its not perfect and
outlook may create a new imap pst at any time. If you don't need the space
on the drive, its better to leave it where outlook wants it.

I don't think it will work at all with an outlook connector acct, but
haven't tried. It will work with the HTTP acct protocol.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"charles" <charles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2F0290CC-2DF4-4962-9B7A-CF288641F4B3@microsoft.com...
> I would like to do the same thing. Yes, you can always resync with the
> IMAP
> server but large amounts of mail (in the realm of 300gb) is a hassle to
> download. I can't imagine the server is happy with that large amount of
> bandwidth use either.
>
> Unfortunately the solution below doesn't work because after you delete the
> pst file, a new one is created so you never get the dialogue asking where
> the
> file went.
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> "pstMover" <pstMover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:5DBDBE1B-0912-46D9-90F7-6A35BF423821@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm using IMAP to access gmail.
>> >
>> > Without starting Outlook 2007, I move the gmail pst from C to D. I hope
>> > Outlook will notice the missing file and ask me where the file is.
>> > However,
>> > it creates a new one in the same location automatically. (sigh)
>> >
>> >
>>
>> Why do you need to move it? An IMAP account mirrors what's on the mail
>> server, so if you re-format and reconnect to the IMAP account it will
>> immediately show you everything on the mail server - likewise there's no
>> real need to back it up either.
>>
>>
Re: move .pst for hotmail and gmail in outlook 2007 [message #427919] Fri, 10 October 2008 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
outlookmvp
Messages: 14613
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
BTW - the steps to point it are as follows. This works for both 2003 and
2007.

Close outlook. Make sure Outlook is not listed in Task Manager, Processes
tab a few minutes after you close it.

1 Open the profile (control panel, mail) and click on Data files.
2 Select the IMAP acct and click Open Folder to open the folder containing
the PST.
3 Move the PST to the desired location. *Do not rename the file* Outlook
creates a new file in the default location if you try to rename it - you can
only move it.
4 Switch to the Data Files window and double click on the account's data
file.
5 Now you'll get the 'can't find' error and can tell outlook where to find
it.
Close the dialogs and you are ready to restart outlook.

I haven't used this with other accts, like sharepoint and internet
calendars, but it should work. It will not work with outlook connector as
the data file path is not listed in the profile.

In my experience, its mostly reliable but does occasionally get 'lost' and a
new pst is made in the default location.



"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
news:#Dq2mj0KJHA.3744@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> You can't move it and have outlook ask where it is - this will not work
> well with imap and hotmail accounts. You need to move it, then point
> outlook to it before reopening outlook (using control panel, mail applet).
> moving seems to be a bit more stable than in previous versions, but its
> not perfect and outlook may create a new imap pst at any time. If you
> don't need the space on the drive, its better to leave it where outlook
> wants it.
>
> I don't think it will work at all with an outlook connector acct, but
> haven't tried. It will work with the HTTP acct protocol.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>
>
> "charles" <charles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2F0290CC-2DF4-4962-9B7A-CF288641F4B3@microsoft.com...
>> I would like to do the same thing. Yes, you can always resync with the
>> IMAP
>> server but large amounts of mail (in the realm of 300gb) is a hassle to
>> download. I can't imagine the server is happy with that large amount of
>> bandwidth use either.
>>
>> Unfortunately the solution below doesn't work because after you delete
>> the
>> pst file, a new one is created so you never get the dialogue asking where
>> the
>> file went.
>>
>> "Gordon" wrote:
>>
>>> "pstMover" <pstMover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:5DBDBE1B-0912-46D9-90F7-6A35BF423821@microsoft.com...
>>> > I'm using IMAP to access gmail.
>>> >
>>> > Without starting Outlook 2007, I move the gmail pst from C to D. I
>>> > hope
>>> > Outlook will notice the missing file and ask me where the file is.
>>> > However,
>>> > it creates a new one in the same location automatically. (sigh)
>>> >
>>> >
>>>
>>> Why do you need to move it? An IMAP account mirrors what's on the mail
>>> server, so if you re-format and reconnect to the IMAP account it will
>>> immediately show you everything on the mail server - likewise there's no
>>> real need to back it up either.
>>>
>>>
Re: move .pst for hotmail and gmail in outlook 2007 [message #428305] Mon, 13 October 2008 09:44 Go to previous message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
"charles" <charles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2F0290CC-2DF4-4962-9B7A-CF288641F4B3@microsoft.com...

>I would like to do the same thing. Yes, you can always resync with the
>IMAP
> server but large amounts of mail (in the realm of 300gb) is a hassle to
> download. I can't imagine the server is happy with that large amount of
> bandwidth use either.
>
> Unfortunately the solution below doesn't work because after you delete the
> pst file, a new one is created so you never get the dialogue asking where
> the
> file went.

This worked in earlier versions of Outlook. You can try in for OL 2007:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300593/en-us
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Previous Topic:Accidently Closed Archive Folder
Next Topic:How do I import calendar contacts from Palm desktop to Outlook?
Goto Forum: