You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

Outlook has started coming up with wizard

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook Public
Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #438318] Sun, 02 November 2008 21:13 Go to next message
Jason
Messages: 297
Registered: July 2006
Senior Member
Hi,

My Outlook has started coming up with the wizard like it was first
installed. How would this have happened?

Thanks,
Re: Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #438323] Sun, 02 November 2008 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason
Messages: 297
Registered: July 2006
Senior Member
XP,2002,2003 have the same startup wizard. Using 2003.
"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <what@ever> wrote in message
news:%23uNS$UXPJHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> We don't know.
>
> We don't even know what version of Outlook you have so how could we?
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
>
> After furious head scratching, Jason asked:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | My Outlook has started coming up with the wizard like it was first
> | installed. How would this have happened?
> |
> | Thanks,
>
>
Re: Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #438329] Sun, 02 November 2008 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JasonA
Messages: 17
Registered: August 2006
Junior Member
Installed Office Pro 97 then every program apart from Access was replaced
with 2003. The option for Outlook is greyed out and states only one version
can be installed hence it is 2003. I left Access 97 and Access 2003
installed.
"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
news:gem68f$heq$1@registered.motzarella.org...
> Jason wrote:
>
>> Milly Staples wrote ...
>>>
>>> Jason asked:
>>>>
>>>> My Outlook has started coming up with the wizard like it was first
>>>> installed. How would this have happened?
>>>
>>> We don't know.
>>> We don't even know what version of Outlook you have so how could we?
>>
>> XP,2002,2003 have the same startup wizard. Using 2003.
>
> While you can multiple different versions of other components of MS
> Office concurrently installed (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.),
> there can be only ONE instance of Outlook installed at a time on a host.
Re: Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #438340] Sun, 02 November 2008 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VanguardLH
Messages: 5893
Registered: September 2007
Senior Member
Jason wrote:

> "VanguardLH" wrote ...
>>
>> Jason wrote:
>>
>>> Milly Staples wrote ...
>>>>
>>>> Jason asked:
>>>>>
>>>>> My Outlook has started coming up with the wizard like it was first
>>>>> installed. How would this have happened?
>>>>
>>>> We don't know.
>>>> We don't even know what version of Outlook you have so how could we?
>>>
>>> XP,2002,2003 have the same startup wizard. Using 2003.
>>
>> While you can multiple different versions of other components of MS
>> Office concurrently installed (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.),
>> there can be only ONE instance of Outlook installed at a time on a host.
>
> Installed Office Pro 97 then every program apart from Access was replaced
> with 2003. The option for Outlook is greyed out and states only one version
> can be installed hence it is 2003. I left Access 97 and Access 2003
> installed.

Reboot Windows into its safe mode. Then reboot again but go into normal
mode. Retest to see the install wizard comes up again (I'm assuming
this is what you meant by "wizard").

Is the install wizard actually rerunning? Or is it just a prompt asking
for the install CD to read from it for an update?
Re: Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #438341] Sun, 02 November 2008 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bens
Messages: 7940
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
You could be using Outlook 97 or 2007. In any event, have you tried
creating a new Outlook profile? Starting Outlook in Safe Mode? Doing a
Detect and Repair?

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
http://www.officeforlawyers.com
Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q



"Jason" <JAllen@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:OTKkwhXPJHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

> XP,2002,2003 have the same startup wizard. Using 2003.
> "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <what@ever> wrote in message
> news:%23uNS$UXPJHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
> > We don't know.
> >
> > We don't even know what version of Outlook you have so how could we?
> >
> > --
> > Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
> >
> > Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
> > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
> >
> >
> > After furious head scratching, Jason asked:
> >
> > | Hi,
> > |
> > | My Outlook has started coming up with the wizard like it was first
> > | installed. How would this have happened?
> > |
> > | Thanks,
> >
> >
Re: Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #438706] Mon, 03 November 2008 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason
Messages: 297
Registered: July 2006
Senior Member
No, its the Outlook email wizard - like the first time Outlook is opened
after Outlook/office is installed.
"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
news:gem83l$vfv$1@registered.motzarella.org...
> Jason wrote:
>
>> "VanguardLH" wrote ...
>>>
>>> Jason wrote:
>>>
>>>> Milly Staples wrote ...
>>>>>
>>>>> Jason asked:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> My Outlook has started coming up with the wizard like it was first
>>>>>> installed. How would this have happened?
>>>>>
>>>>> We don't know.
>>>>> We don't even know what version of Outlook you have so how could we?
>>>>
>>>> XP,2002,2003 have the same startup wizard. Using 2003.
>>>
>>> While you can multiple different versions of other components of MS
>>> Office concurrently installed (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.),
>>> there can be only ONE instance of Outlook installed at a time on a host.
>>
>> Installed Office Pro 97 then every program apart from Access was replaced
>> with 2003. The option for Outlook is greyed out and states only one
>> version
>> can be installed hence it is 2003. I left Access 97 and Access 2003
>> installed.
>
> Reboot Windows into its safe mode. Then reboot again but go into normal
> mode. Retest to see the install wizard comes up again (I'm assuming
> this is what you meant by "wizard").
>
> Is the install wizard actually rerunning? Or is it just a prompt asking
> for the install CD to read from it for an update?
Re: Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #438767] Tue, 04 November 2008 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VanguardLH
Messages: 5893
Registered: September 2007
Senior Member
Jason wrote:

> Vanguard wrote:
>> Is the install wizard actually rerunning? Or is it just a prompt asking
>> for the install CD to read from it for an update?
>
> No, its the Outlook email wizard - like the first time Outlook is opened
> after Outlook/office is installed.

When you use the Mail applet in Control Panel, do you actually have any
accounts defined for Outlook to use?
Re: Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #439230] Tue, 04 November 2008 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason
Messages: 297
Registered: July 2006
Senior Member
There is no Mail in control panel. What is applet?
"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
news:geovqv$ctm$1@registered.motzarella.org...
> Jason wrote:
>
>> Vanguard wrote:
>>> Is the install wizard actually rerunning? Or is it just a prompt asking
>>> for the install CD to read from it for an update?
>>
>> No, its the Outlook email wizard - like the first time Outlook is opened
>> after Outlook/office is installed.
>
> When you use the Mail applet in Control Panel, do you actually have any
> accounts defined for Outlook to use?
Re: Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #439272] Wed, 05 November 2008 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VanguardLH
Messages: 5893
Registered: September 2007
Senior Member
Jason wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
> news:geovqv$ctm$1@registered.motzarella.org...
>> Jason wrote:
>>
>>> Vanguard wrote:
>>>> Is the install wizard actually rerunning? Or is it just a prompt
>>>> asking for the install CD to read from it for an update?
>>>
>>> No, its the Outlook email wizard - like the first time Outlook is
>>> opened after Outlook/office is installed.
>>
>> When you use the Mail applet in Control Panel, do you actually have
>> any accounts defined for Outlook to use?
>
> There is no Mail in control panel. What is applet?

If a MAPI-enabled e-mail client is installed, MAPI is added to the host
and that includes a "Mail" named applet in Control Panel. If you don't
see an applet named "Mail" in Control Panel, maybe you don't have
Outlook properly installed or you perform a migrate that didn't
complete. Also see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937763.

If you're using Vista, you'll have to figure out how to configure the
Control Panel display to get rid of the Fisher-Price kiddie fluff
display to eliminate the categorization of configuration settings. I
have done it in Vista but don't use it often enough to remember how to
get rid of that fluff crap in Control Panel. As I recall, under Vista,
there is the "View 32-bit control panel items" category if you are using
a 64-bit version of Window Vista. You didn't mention WHICH version of
*Windows* that you use so you'll have to dig around to find where the
Mail applet got hidden in Vista.

So back to my prior question, did you ever define e-mail accounts for
Outlook to use? Your original post implies that Outlook was working
with one, or more, e-mail accounts and then stopped but that's an
implication as you don't actually say that you were successfully *using*
Outlook before.
Re: Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #439742] Wed, 05 November 2008 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What
Messages: 4693
Registered: October 2007
Senior Member
If you are using Vista 64 bit, you need to enable 32 bit .cpl in control
panel.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375


After furious head scratching, Jason asked:

| There is no Mail in control panel. What is applet?
| "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
| news:geovqv$ctm$1@registered.motzarella.org...
|| Jason wrote:
||
||| Vanguard wrote:
|||| Is the install wizard actually rerunning? Or is it just a prompt
|||| asking for the install CD to read from it for an update?
|||
||| No, its the Outlook email wizard - like the first time Outlook is
||| opened after Outlook/office is installed.
||
|| When you use the Mail applet in Control Panel, do you actually have
|| any accounts defined for Outlook to use?
Re: Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #440093] Thu, 06 November 2008 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JasonA
Messages: 17
Registered: August 2006
Junior Member
yes -was working on XP Pro
"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
news:gerkar$je2$1@registered.motzarella.org...
> Jason wrote:
>
>> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> news:geovqv$ctm$1@registered.motzarella.org...
>>> Jason wrote:
>>>
>>>> Vanguard wrote:
>>>>> Is the install wizard actually rerunning? Or is it just a prompt
>>>>> asking for the install CD to read from it for an update?
>>>>
>>>> No, its the Outlook email wizard - like the first time Outlook is
>>>> opened after Outlook/office is installed.
>>>
>>> When you use the Mail applet in Control Panel, do you actually have
>>> any accounts defined for Outlook to use?
>>
>> There is no Mail in control panel. What is applet?
>
> If a MAPI-enabled e-mail client is installed, MAPI is added to the host
> and that includes a "Mail" named applet in Control Panel. If you don't
> see an applet named "Mail" in Control Panel, maybe you don't have
> Outlook properly installed or you perform a migrate that didn't
> complete. Also see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937763.
>
> If you're using Vista, you'll have to figure out how to configure the
> Control Panel display to get rid of the Fisher-Price kiddie fluff
> display to eliminate the categorization of configuration settings. I
> have done it in Vista but don't use it often enough to remember how to
> get rid of that fluff crap in Control Panel. As I recall, under Vista,
> there is the "View 32-bit control panel items" category if you are using
> a 64-bit version of Window Vista. You didn't mention WHICH version of
> *Windows* that you use so you'll have to dig around to find where the
> Mail applet got hidden in Vista.
>
> So back to my prior question, did you ever define e-mail accounts for
> Outlook to use? Your original post implies that Outlook was working
> with one, or more, e-mail accounts and then stopped but that's an
> implication as you don't actually say that you were successfully *using*
> Outlook before.
Re: Outlook has started coming up with wizard [message #440344] Thu, 06 November 2008 11:55 Go to previous message
VanguardLH
Messages: 5893
Registered: September 2007
Senior Member
Jason wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
> news:gerkar$je2$1@registered.motzarella.org...
>> Jason wrote:
>>
>>> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>>> news:geovqv$ctm$1@registered.motzarella.org...
>>>> Jason wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Vanguard wrote:
>>>>>> Is the install wizard actually rerunning? Or is it just a prompt
>>>>>> asking for the install CD to read from it for an update?
>>>>>
>>>>> No, its the Outlook email wizard - like the first time Outlook is
>>>>> opened after Outlook/office is installed.
>>>>
>>>> When you use the Mail applet in Control Panel, do you actually have
>>>> any accounts defined for Outlook to use?
>>>
>>> There is no Mail in control panel. What is applet?
>>
>> If a MAPI-enabled e-mail client is installed, MAPI is added to the host
>> and that includes a "Mail" named applet in Control Panel. If you don't
>> see an applet named "Mail" in Control Panel, maybe you don't have
>> Outlook properly installed or you perform a migrate that didn't
>> complete. Also see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937763.
>>
>> If you're using Vista, you'll have to figure out how to configure the
>> Control Panel display to get rid of the Fisher-Price kiddie fluff
>> display to eliminate the categorization of configuration settings. I
>> have done it in Vista but don't use it often enough to remember how to
>> get rid of that fluff crap in Control Panel. As I recall, under Vista,
>> there is the "View 32-bit control panel items" category if you are using
>> a 64-bit version of Window Vista. You didn't mention WHICH version of
>> *Windows* that you use so you'll have to dig around to find where the
>> Mail applet got hidden in Vista.
>>
>> So back to my prior question, did you ever define e-mail accounts for
>> Outlook to use? Your original post implies that Outlook was working
>> with one, or more, e-mail accounts and then stopped but that's an
>> implication as you don't actually say that you were successfully *using*
>> Outlook before.
>
> yes -was working on XP Pro

Was working on XP Pro. So presumably you are still using Windows XP
Pro. But you said there is no Mail applet in Control Panel. Did you
sort that list of applets in Control Panel to make sure that "Mail" was
somewhere else in the list than you expected?

In the registry, go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don
Previous Topic:Embedded email addresses in forwarded message?
Next Topic:Start outlook without Exchange
Goto Forum: