You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

outlook 2007 inbox view does not refresh when new mail is received

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
outlook 2007 inbox view does not refresh when new mail is received [message #454756] Fri, 26 December 2008 09:43 Go to next message
vesty02019
Messages: 1
Registered: December 2008
Junior Member
I am adamantly against being forced to participate in a program that sends
"any" information to "anyone" regardless of their "Privacy Statements" in
order to have their application function as expected!!!

This requirement is ludicrous and I will be happy to post this to every blog
and Microsoft Support site on the internet unless Microsoft ceases and
corrects this IMMEDIATELY!

Issue: outlook 2007 inbox view does not refresh when new mail is received
1. Outlook is open and I have the Inbox as the focus
2. Outlook performs Send/Rcv
3. Newly arrived emails are identified as in: "Inbox (7)"
4. Newly arrived emails do not display in the actual Inbox pane within Outlook
5. To display newly arrived emails in the Inbox I need to click to any other
folder then back to the Inbox at which time newly arrived messages are
viewable
Of note; this same behavior can be reproduced in other folders where rules
are applied to redirect emails to "other" folders.

Example:
1. Have the focus of Outlook be "FolderXYZ" not the Inbox
2. Send email with specific words in subject line which an Outlook rule
would handle and redirect to some "FolderXYZ"
3. Hit F9 (Send/Rcv) process completes and identifies newly arrived email in
the "FolderXYZ" (1)
4. However, since the focus of Outlook was "FolderXYZ" when Send/Rcv
processing occured Outlook only identifies the email has arrived but fails to
properly display the new email in the "FolderXYZ" viewing pane until I click
away from this folder and then back. At which time the newly arrived email is
now displayed in the "FolderXYZ" viewing pane

Resolution:
1.) Close Outlook
2.) Open Word
3.) Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
4.) Click Trust Center.
5.) Click Trust Center Settings, and then click Privacy Options.
6.) Select the Sign up for the Customer Experience Improvement Program check
box, and then click OK.

Result: Customer is FORCED to participate in Microsoft's "Customer
Experience Improvement Program" for Microsoft Word 2007, in order to have
Microsoft Outlook 20007 function correctly and properly process and display
newly arrived emails within the Folder Viewing Pane. When the customer
actually wished to Opt-Out due to privacy concerns, regardless of Microsoft's
Privacy Statement.
Re: outlook 2007 inbox view does not refresh when new mail is received [message #454789] Fri, 26 December 2008 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vesty
Messages: 10
Registered: December 2008
Junior Member
FH: Thanks for the suggestion of setting up NewsGroups in Windows Mail
(Vista)!!! Yeah, I can read all posts now.

In response to where I obtained the resolution, and it actually worked! I
googled, since I could not find anything on any Microsoft site... Also, this
is an ISP (Comcast) SMTP account setup and not Exchange.

Google: outlook 2007 inbox view does not refresh when new mail is received

One of several Resulting Post URL:
http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/723805-outlook-2007-inbo x-does-not.html

And taking that post, knowing this was not my first setup of Office, as I
had elected "NOT" to participate in the Customer Improvement Program during
setup, I walked through the steps noted in Office Help on how to subscribe
(see Resolution below) to the program. Once I completed that and restarted
Outlook, I sent numerous types of email to myself from various email
accounts. The result was that all emails processed into their respective
folders as expected.

This began with an issue reported to Norton. Since NIS2009 was installed, I
noticed that emails tagged as [Norton AntiSpam] were not processing to the
Norton AntiSpam Folder in Outlook when the integration was turned on. I also
noticed that my Inbox was not refreshing when I clearly saw emails received
from the popup. I then discovered the root issue was Outlook was not
processing email correctly. It was not refreshing the inbox once new mail
was received. So, I googled that exact question and found the URL above.
Modified the response and the issue is completely resolved.

My Inbox and or any other Outlook folder I happen to be in is refreshed once
Send/Rcv is completed and any rules are applied updating/refreshing the
folder with emails I would have expected to show when received, the Inbox
properly refreshed and even my Norton AntiSpam filter works as expected. All
this after 5-6 months of blaming Norton for the issue only to discover it
was an Outlook issue.

OS = Vista 64
Outlook/Office Prof = 2007 w/Business Contacts
NIS2009 = w/AntiSpam Integration configured for Outlook email client
MS Office Trust Center = all properly configured with Norton/Symantec as
explicit trusts

vesty

NotVeryHappyAtTheMonemtWithMicrosoftAfterMonthsOfFrustration BlamingTheWrongApplication

"F.H. Muffman" <f.h.muffman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1d3d24f82ae7b8cb35621334ab00@msnews.microsoft.com...
>><sip again>
>
> <snip>
>
>> Resolution:
>> 1.) Close Outlook
>> 2.) Open Word
>> 3.) Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
>> 4.) Click Trust Center.
>> 5.) Click Trust Center Settings, and then click Privacy Options.
>> 6.) Select the Sign up for the Customer Experience Improvement Program
>> check box, and then click OK.
>> Result: Customer is FORCED to participate in Microsoft's "Customer
>> Experience Improvement Program" for Microsoft Word 2007, in order to
>> have Microsoft Outlook 20007 function correctly and properly process
>> and display newly arrived emails within the Folder Viewing Pane. When
>> the customer actually wished to Opt-Out due to privacy concerns,
>> regardless of Microsoft's Privacy Statement.
>
> Where in the world did you find that resolution? I think the resolution,
> assuming we're dealing with Exchange, is to configure your firewall to
> allow UDP packets.
>
> Otherwise: Happening on multiple machines? What type of mail server?
>
> --
> f.h.
> Microsoft Outlook MVP
>
>
Begin Troubleshooting Efforts 12/28: outlook 2007 inbox view does not refresh when new mail is recei [message #455013] Sun, 28 December 2008 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vesty
Messages: 10
Registered: December 2008
Junior Member
F.H.

Very well, not blaming anyone at this time and will continue to troubleshoot
this issue with you.

1.) Started Outlook in SafeMode and sent several emails. Outlook refreshed
when email was received

(Note: I would expect this since Outlook was processing emails correctly
since I made the change noted in these threads)

2.) Restarted Outlook in NormalMode --> Sent several emails --> Outlook
responded as expected
3.) Closed Outlook
4.) Open Word
5.) Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
6.) Click Trust Center.
7.) Click Trust Center Settings, and then click Privacy Options.
8.) De-select the Sign up for the Customer Experience Improvement Program
check box, and then click OK.
9.) Rebooted system
10.) Open Outlook in NormalMode
11.) Send several emails --> Outlook responded as expected

Observations: Both Outlook and Word now have "Customer Experience..."
de-activated and Outlook is functioning as expected

Question: Why would setting this feature active suddenly cause Outlook to
behave as expected?
Question: Why would Outlook continue to function as expected with this
selection de-activated?

Thanks for your assistance and look forward to further research into this
issue.

vesty -
NotBlamingAnyoneOrThingAtTheMoment_LookingForwardToResolutio nAndRootCauseOfIssue

"F.H. Muffman" <f.h.muffman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1d3d24f82aebf8cb35a1e6c62a8d@msnews.microsoft.com...
>
> I'm going to bet it's not an Outlook problem, but if you want to blame
> Outlook, go right ahead. If, instead, you want to troubleshoot the
> problem without blaming anyone until you know what actually caused the
> problem, lets do that.
>
> Try starting Outlook in Safe mode, Start - Run - outlook /safe.
>
> This will get rid of all add-ins. Try to reproduce the problem at that
> point.
>
>> <snip>
Re: Begin Troubleshooting Efforts 12/28: outlook 2007 inbox view does not refresh when new mail is r [message #455023] Sun, 28 December 2008 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
f.h.muffman
Messages: 5651
Registered: February 2007
Senior Member
> Observations: Both Outlook and Word now have "Customer Experience..."
> de-activated and Outlook is functioning as expected
>
> Question: Why would setting this feature active suddenly cause Outlook to
> behave as expected?

No idea. Seriously. The only reason I could come up with was that it tweaks
the built in OS firewall to allow that feature to work and that's what fixes
the problem, at least for Exchange clients.

> Question: Why would Outlook continue to function as expected with this
> selection de-activated?

Because it wasn't actually related to the problem or the resolution.

--
f.h.
Microsoft Outlook MVP
Interesting - Troubleshooting 12/28 Part II: outlook 2007 inbox view does not refresh when new mail [message #455086] Sun, 28 December 2008 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vesty
Messages: 10
Registered: December 2008
Junior Member
Interesting notes:

1.) After some time elapsing (15 mins or so) since de-selecting "Customer
Experience...", Outlook stops refreshing the Inbox after Send/Rcv process.
2.) It appears though that the Outlook "rules" for received emails is
correctly processing those correctly
a.) Inbox was the focus
b.) Send/Rcv processed automatically (every 5 mins)
c.) Observation: "FolderXYZ (1)", "Inbox (2) [my 2 test emails], "Unread
(3)" but the Inbox was not refreshed
d.) Click "Sent Items" then back to "Inbox" 2 test emails are there. One
is a [Norton AntiSpam] tagged and the other a non-categorized but acceptable
email
e.) The third email from a friend with a rule to move emails from him to
his special folder properly processed though Inbox did not refresh after the
process

Futher testing efforts:

1.) Repeated process to join "Customer Experience..." in Word only
2.) Reboot
3.) Start Outlook in NormalMode
4.) Send 3 types of emails (Norton AntiSpam, Outlook rule & normal email)
5.) Outlook DID process emails as expected
a.) Outlook email with rule moved to correct folder
b.) Normal email arrived in Inbox and did refresh
c.) Norton AntiSpam did move to Norton Spamfolder

Next test - Outlook in SafeMode (Word Customer Experience = "active")

1.) Start Outlook in SafeMode
2.) Send 3 types of emails (Norton AntiSpam, Outlook rule & normal email)
3.) Outlook DID process emails as expected
a.) Outlook email with rule moved to correct folder
b.) Normal email arrived in Inbox and did refresh
c.) Norton AntiSpam did not move to Norton Spamfolder (add-in turned off
in SafeMode)

Next test - Outlook in NormalMode (Customer Experience = "active")

1.) Start Outlook in NormalMode
2.) Check for "Customer Experience..." in Outlook (expecting to be
de-selected but it is selected - appears setting it active in Word also sets
active in Outlook)
2.) Send 3 types of emails (Norton AntiSpam, Outlook rule & normal email)
3.) Outlook DID process emails as expected
a.) Outlook email with rule moved to correct folder
b.) Normal email arrived in Inbox and did refresh
c.) Norton AntiSpam did move to Norton Spamfolder

Next test - leave Outlook running for several HOURS and test again
1.) Repeat all steps above same results... Outlook still working as expected
with "Customer Experience..."

Open for other suggestions to try and break or otherwise find alternatives
to prove otherwise.

vesty
Re: Interesting - Troubleshooting 12/28 Part II: outlook 2007 inbox view does not refresh when new m [message #455101] Sun, 28 December 2008 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
f.h.muffman
Messages: 5651
Registered: February 2007
Senior Member
> Interesting notes:
>
> 1.) After some time elapsing (15 mins or so) since de-selecting
> "Customer
> Experience...", Outlook stops refreshing the Inbox after Send/Rcv
> process.
> 2.) It appears though that the Outlook "rules" for received emails is
> correctly processing those correctly
> a.) Inbox was the focus
> b.) Send/Rcv processed automatically (every 5 mins)
> c.) Observation: "FolderXYZ (1)", "Inbox (2) [my 2 test emails],
> "Unread
> (3)" but the Inbox was not refreshed
> d.) Click "Sent Items" then back to "Inbox" 2 test emails are
> there. One
> is a [Norton AntiSpam] tagged and the other a non-categorized but
> acceptable
> email
> e.) The third email from a friend with a rule to move emails from
> him to
> his special folder properly processed though Inbox did not refresh
> after the
> process
>
> Futher testing efforts:
>
> 1.) Repeated process to join "Customer Experience..." in Word only
> 2.) Reboot
> 3.) Start Outlook in NormalMode
> 4.) Send 3 types of emails (Norton AntiSpam, Outlook rule & normal
> email)
> 5.) Outlook DID process emails as expected
> a.) Outlook email with rule moved to correct folder
> b.) Normal email arrived in Inbox and did refresh
> c.) Norton AntiSpam did move to Norton Spamfolder
> Next test - Outlook in SafeMode (Word Customer Experience = "active")
>
> 1.) Start Outlook in SafeMode
> 2.) Send 3 types of emails (Norton AntiSpam, Outlook rule & normal
> email)
> 3.) Outlook DID process emails as expected
> a.) Outlook email with rule moved to correct folder
> b.) Normal email arrived in Inbox and did refresh
> c.) Norton AntiSpam did not move to Norton Spamfolder (add-in
> turned off
> in SafeMode)
> Next test - Outlook in NormalMode (Customer Experience = "active")
>
> 1.) Start Outlook in NormalMode
> 2.) Check for "Customer Experience..." in Outlook (expecting to be
> de-selected but it is selected - appears setting it active in Word
> also sets
> active in Outlook)
> 2.) Send 3 types of emails (Norton AntiSpam, Outlook rule & normal
> email)
> 3.) Outlook DID process emails as expected
> a.) Outlook email with rule moved to correct folder
> b.) Normal email arrived in Inbox and did refresh
> c.) Norton AntiSpam did move to Norton Spamfolder
> Next test - leave Outlook running for several HOURS and test again
> 1.) Repeat all steps above same results... Outlook still working as
> expected
> with "Customer Experience..."
> Open for other suggestions to try and break or otherwise find
> alternatives to prove otherwise.

In all of that, I didn't see if you tried in Safe mode without the customer
experience selected.

And what do rules have to do with it?

--
f.h.
Microsoft Outlook MVP
Re: Interesting - Troubleshooting 12/28 Part II: outlook 2007 inbox view does not refresh when new m [message #455209] Mon, 29 December 2008 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vesty
Messages: 10
Registered: December 2008
Junior Member
> In all of that, I didn't see if you tried in Safe mode without the
> customer experience selected.

Please see first troubleshooting post "Begin Troubleshooting Efforts..."

" Observations: Both Outlook and Word now have "Customer Experience..."
de-activated and Outlook is functioning as expected"

And also my comment in my previous post that spawned further testing...

"Interesting notes:

1.) After some time elapsing (15 mins or so) since de-selecting "Customer
Experience...", Outlook stops refreshing the Inbox after Send/Rcv process."

> And what do rules have to do with it?

Just an observation that Outlook rules do process and move emails to their
special folders when Send/Rcv completes. Unlike Norton tagged emails, where
those remain in the Inbox versus being processed into their own AntiSpam
folder. I would have thought that Norton would have used Outlooks API to
generate an Outlook rule to process those emails and move them to the
AntiSpam folder once the Norton process identifies them as SPAM. But guess
not. Again, just to note that at least the rules are working after Send/Rcv
even though the refresh of the view does not work.

vesty
F.H. Response Please: Interesting - Troubleshooting 12/28 Part II: outlook 2007 inbox view does not [message #455520] Tue, 30 December 2008 10:38 Go to previous message
vesty
Messages: 10
Registered: December 2008
Junior Member
To date - Outlook is processing emails and refreshing Inbox as expected
while I have "Customer Experience..." activated. Once it is de-activated the
Inbox STOPS refreshing after about 15 mins.

It seems that the resolution truly is Outlook and "Microsoft Customer
Experience" being active in order to resolve the refresh issue.

F.H. - Do you concur or do you have other suggestions for troubleshooting we
should attempt?

- vesty -

LookingForwardToFinallyPuttingThisIssueToRestOneWayOrAnother

"vesty" <vesty@microsoft.newsgroup.com> wrote in message
news:6AFED794-395E-4736-AB46-40A87B0B0B33@microsoft.com...
>> In all of that, I didn't see if you tried in Safe mode without the
>> customer experience selected.
>
> Please see first troubleshooting post "Begin Troubleshooting Efforts..."
>
> " Observations: Both Outlook and Word now have "Customer Experience..."
> de-activated and Outlook is functioning as expected"
>
> And also my comment in my previous post that spawned further testing...
>
> "Interesting notes:
>
> 1.) After some time elapsing (15 mins or so) since de-selecting "Customer
> Experience...", Outlook stops refreshing the Inbox after Send/Rcv
> process."
>
>> And what do rules have to do with it?
>
> Just an observation that Outlook rules do process and move emails to their
> special folders when Send/Rcv completes. Unlike Norton tagged emails,
> where those remain in the Inbox versus being processed into their own
> AntiSpam folder. I would have thought that Norton would have used Outlooks
> API to generate an Outlook rule to process those emails and move them to
> the AntiSpam folder once the Norton process identifies them as SPAM. But
> guess not. Again, just to note that at least the rules are working after
> Send/Rcv even though the refresh of the view does not work.
>
> vesty
Previous Topic:An Unexpected Error Has Occurred
Next Topic:remove unwanted, corrupt archive.pst file?
Goto Forum: