You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

digital signature not validating in outlook, but validating everyw

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook
digital signature not validating in outlook, but validating everyw [message #6770] Tue, 04 July 2006 08:40 Go to next message
Ralf Hauser
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
All programs such as thunderbird, bouncy castle,
freenet.de/freenet/zugang/rechnung/signatur/index.html, and
http://www.d-trust.net/internet/content/pruefsoftware.html validate an S/MIME
signature, but outlook claims that the message has been tampered with.

Is there a way to have outlook provide more detailed diagnostics why it
thinks the signature is invalid?

I am happy to provide sample eMails with the new Swiss legally binding
qualified signatures...

--
Securely and spam-free via:
https://www.privasphere.com/e.do?email=hauser@acm.org
Re: digital signature not validating in outlook, but validating ev [message #6791] Tue, 04 July 2006 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Hauser
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
Yes, I have used it and it says "Error:
The message contents may have been altered.
Signed by aneische@timeproof.de using RSA/SHA1 at 6:16:57 PM 6/23/2006."

I am happy to forward the message and an almost identical one that does also
validate in outlook. I would be really great to know whether it is the hash
or whether it is some other reason why the signature fails in outlook.
Re: digital signature not validating in outlook, but validating ev [message #7458] Wed, 05 July 2006 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Hauser
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
> When you say "almost" identical, what is different between the two?
- the certificate id is different
- the email the certificate was issued to is different
- the key usage is different (Non-repudiation (40) vs. Digital Signature,
Non-Repudiation (c0))
- the content is not the same
- the signing time is different (the last two are kind of obvious)
> (and by
> the way, list servers can invalidate a signature because most modify the
> from/sender line. this is enough to break a s\mime signature.)
I know, therefore I am asking for an alternate channel to submit the sample
files...
Re: digital signature not validating in outlook, but validating ev [message #7605] Wed, 05 July 2006 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neo
Messages: 888
Registered: July 2006
Senior Member
You can drop the online from my address and your samples will reach me.

"Ralf Hauser" <RalfHauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A942A50D-E95D-4806-9EF8-73E8C24FF36E@microsoft.com...
>> When you say "almost" identical, what is different between the two?
> - the certificate id is different
> - the email the certificate was issued to is different
> - the key usage is different (Non-repudiation (40) vs. Digital Signature,
> Non-Repudiation (c0))
> - the content is not the same
> - the signing time is different (the last two are kind of obvious)
>> (and by
>> the way, list servers can invalidate a signature because most modify the
>> from/sender line. this is enough to break a s\mime signature.)
> I know, therefore I am asking for an alternate channel to submit the
> sample
> files...
Re: digital signature not validating in outlook, but validating ev [message #8597] Thu, 06 July 2006 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Hauser
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
Neo, thanks for the offer - did you get my messages yesterday?
--
Securely and spam-free via:
https://www.privasphere.com/e.do?email=hauser@acm.org
Re: digital signature not validating in outlook, but validating ev [message #8684] Fri, 07 July 2006 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neo
Messages: 888
Registered: July 2006
Senior Member
Have 1 message with subject of

Refined samples for the outlook signature validation problem



"Ralf Hauser" <RalfHauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:AAE9CEC2-A4DC-4F0A-A52F-7583AF6FC1EC@microsoft.com...
> Neo, thanks for the offer - did you get my messages yesterday?
> --
> Securely and spam-free via:
> https://www.privasphere.com/e.do?email=hauser@acm.org
Re: digital signature not validating in outlook, but validating ev [message #10039] Mon, 10 July 2006 01:49 Go to previous message
Ralf Hauser
Messages: 5
Registered: July 2006
Junior Member
cool and did you also see the "Testdaten.zip" attachment? It contains the
validating and the non-validating version that are 99% identical.

Remaining differences:
- different RSA key-pairs
- different modulos

any insights?
Previous Topic:Defined views keep changing spontaneously
Next Topic:Outlook 2003 Backup
Goto Forum: