You are here: Office-Outlook.com  / Outlook Forum

Mail just won't go to Outlook.

Home » General Outlook opportunities » Outlook Public
Mail just won't go to Outlook. [message #81690] Tue, 07 November 2006 12:12 Go to next message
Patrick Keenan
Messages: 38
Registered: July 2006
Member
I'm at a client's working on a new Dell XP SP2 system with Office 2003 Basic
edition. I'm unable to get email to deliver to Outlook, though it *will*
go without any problems to Outlook Express.

I've created new profiles, new user accounts, done the Test Settings in
Outlook and everything looks right. I've uninstalled and reinstalled
Outlook. I've exported/imported the Outlook Express settings and
re-created it manually. There is no firewall or mail scanner redirecting
mail.

Mail (including the test mail) will send from Outlook, but will *not* arrive
in the Outlook PST file. It will only go to Outlook Express in any account
or profile.

The client would prefer to use Outlook.

Any ideas as to what I've missed here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Patrick Keenan
Re: Mail just won't go to Outlook. [message #81726] Tue, 07 November 2006 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Keenan
Messages: 38
Registered: July 2006
Member
"K. Orland" <KOrland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:482F6BD1-32CF-44EF-BB44-4EA3A8A0522E@microsoft.com...
> Is Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook set as the default client?

It actually doesn't matter which is set as the default client. If Outlook
is set as the default, with OE reporting that it is not the default, mail
still will not go to the Outlook files.

Thanks for the response!

-pk

> --
> Kathleen Orland
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
>
>
> "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
>
>> I'm at a client's working on a new Dell XP SP2 system with Office 2003
>> Basic
>> edition. I'm unable to get email to deliver to Outlook, though it
>> *will*
>> go without any problems to Outlook Express.
>>
>> I've created new profiles, new user accounts, done the Test Settings in
>> Outlook and everything looks right. I've uninstalled and reinstalled
>> Outlook. I've exported/imported the Outlook Express settings and
>> re-created it manually. There is no firewall or mail scanner
>> redirecting
>> mail.
>>
>> Mail (including the test mail) will send from Outlook, but will *not*
>> arrive
>> in the Outlook PST file. It will only go to Outlook Express in any
>> account
>> or profile.
>>
>> The client would prefer to use Outlook.
>>
>> Any ideas as to what I've missed here would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Patrick Keenan
>>
>>
>>
Re: Mail just won't go to Outlook. [message #81985] Wed, 08 November 2006 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Keenan
Messages: 38
Registered: July 2006
Member
"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:OBPj$E0AHHA.992@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Patrick Keenan <test@dev.null> wrote:
>
>> It actually doesn't matter which is set as the default client. If
>> Outlook is set as the default, with OE reporting that it is not the
>> default, mail still will not go to the Outlook files.
>
> Exactly what happens when you click Send/Receive?
> --
> Brian Tillman

With Outlook set as the default, clicking Send with a piece of test mail
sends it. Clicking Send/receive sends mail but does not ever retrieve it.
If I subsequently open OE, with OE set to *not* be the default, the mail all
arrives in OE. The server settings are identical.

Thanks for the reply!

Patrick Keenan
Re: Mail just won't go to Outlook. [message #82050] Wed, 08 November 2006 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Patrick Keenan <test@dev.null> wrote:

> With Outlook set as the default, clicking Send with a piece of test
> mail sends it. Clicking Send/receive sends mail but does not ever
> retrieve it.

Have you tried importing the Outlook Express account into Outlook?

> If I subsequently open OE, with OE set to *not* be the
> default, the mail all arrives in OE. The server settings are
> identical.

This doesn't indicate anything because Outlook and Outlook Express are
independent. You should try enabling diagnostic logging in Outlook to see
what's happening between Outlook and your server.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300479/en-us
--
Brian Tillman
Re: Mail just won't go to Outlook. [message #82051] Wed, 08 November 2006 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane
Messages: 32
Registered: July 2006
Member
Try uninstalling OE


Brian Tillman wrote:
> Patrick Keenan <test@dev.null> wrote:
>
> > With Outlook set as the default, clicking Send with a piece of test
> > mail sends it. Clicking Send/receive sends mail but does not ever
> > retrieve it.
>
> Have you tried importing the Outlook Express account into Outlook?
>
> > If I subsequently open OE, with OE set to *not* be the
> > default, the mail all arrives in OE. The server settings are
> > identical.
>
> This doesn't indicate anything because Outlook and Outlook Express are
> independent. You should try enabling diagnostic logging in Outlook to see
> what's happening between Outlook and your server.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300479/en-us
> --
> Brian Tillman
Re: Mail just won't go to Outlook. [message #82122] Wed, 08 November 2006 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gordon
Messages: 5790
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
"Shane" <shane.pinnell@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1163015823.506919.296400@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Try uninstalling OE
>

If the OP is using XP then he CAN'T uninstall OE.......
Re: Mail just won't go to Outlook. [message #82144] Wed, 08 November 2006 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Keenan
Messages: 38
Registered: July 2006
Member
"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:OwZ1$92AHHA.5060@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Patrick Keenan <test@dev.null> wrote:
>
>> With Outlook set as the default, clicking Send with a piece of test
>> mail sends it. Clicking Send/receive sends mail but does not ever
>> retrieve it.
>
> Have you tried importing the Outlook Express account into Outlook?

Yes. I've imported the accounts and created them manually, with new and
existing profiles and in several accounts. The result is the same; mail is
never received in Outlook, only OE.

>
>> If I subsequently open OE, with OE set to *not* be the
>> default, the mail all arrives in OE. The server settings are
>> identical.
>
> This doesn't indicate anything because Outlook and Outlook Express are
> independent. You should try enabling diagnostic logging in Outlook to see
> what's happening between Outlook and your server.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300479/en-us

Thanks, I'll do that.

Patrick Keenan

> --
> Brian Tillman
Re: Mail just won't go to Outlook. [message #82210] Wed, 08 November 2006 19:50 Go to previous message
Brian Tillman
Messages: 25117
Registered: June 2006
Senior Member
Shane <shane.pinnell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Try uninstalling OE

You can't uninstall OE.
--
Brian Tillman
Previous Topic:Deploy Send/Receive groups
Next Topic:Strange Files in My Documents Created by Outlook 2003
Goto Forum: